Thursday, December 27, 2007

December 22nd - Family Dinner

Being that Jose couldn't come home for the weekend like he had planned, we decided to have the family dinner anyways. So we went to get the chicken and the ice cream. It took forever to pick a flavor of ice cream, even though they only have about 5 flavors in Mexico.

After we got the food, we decided that we were hungry, so we went to Burger King. Again!! I stuffed myself to the point that I could barely move.

When we got back to the house, we got ready for everyone else to come. When Sam and Martha showed up Grandma, Martha and I started making the big salad for the dinner. Because we can't drink their water in Mexico, we had to make the salad in a very
complicated way. You first rinse the lettuce in the water, then you let it sit in a bowl of water with special drops to kill the bacteria, and then you have to rinse it again with filtered water. You have to do a lot to make certain foods there, but it really knocks you back into reality and makes you see how well good we have it.

Gaby arrived not long after that with the chips and the cake. The cake was beautiful!!! It tasted like there was coconut in it, with white icing, white chocolate and chocolate shavings on top, and fresh strawberries dipped in a strawberry coating. It was fantastic!!! Rachel made the fresh guacamole, and the little ones helped her get everything together.

The dinner was wonderful and everything went smoothly. The only problem was, Jose and Irene couldn't be there with us this time around. But we got to spend the last of our trip with most of our long lost family. When everyone was done eating, we sat around the table and talked while the kids went into the living room to watch cartoons. A typical kid thing.

We were finally able to take the family picture. It took forever to get everything set up because the kids were running around and playing where I was trying to set up. But it finally worked out and we were able to get everyone in the picture perfectly. It turned out really nice.

Then it came time for Rachel to leave. She took Sheily and Diane with her so that we could spend some time with the rest of the family and so that we could get some good rest for the busy day to come. Now we were able to give the kids their gifts. You should see Emiliano's face when we gave him the Spiderman piggy bank. It was the cutest thing!! And when Pamela thought that we didn't get her anything, she went over to the steps and put this sad/angry face on. But she ended up liking the watch that we got her anyways. It was so cute on her.












It was finally time for Gaby, Jorge and the kids to leave. They said this might be the last time we would see them before we left. So it was a really emotional time!!! I have grown to love Gaby so much and to say goodbye again was going to kill me. So I decided that this was a trip where we weren't going to say goodbye. We would say, "See you later." It sounded better.

When I hugged Gaby, she wouldn't let go. She grabbed me tighter every minute that we stood there. Then she started to sniffle and get those really big tears in her eyes. I wanted to break down and start sobbing. It had been nine years since we had seen each other and I didn't want to think that it would be that long before I saw her again. I told her that we would be back next year. Then I started saying, "I love you so much," and grabbing her tighter. But I had to break up out tears, so I said, "You know the last time you hugged me, you had to bend down, and now I'm the one bending down." Haha that did it!!!! She started laughing, which triggered my laughter. Then we separated and I went to hug Jorge and the kids. Jorge had really warmed up to us while we were there and it was really sad to say say goodbye to him too. Or, "See you later," I should say.

I had to hug Gaby again before she got into the car because I just couldn't resist. I love her as if she were my older sister. It's crazy to think of how close we have gotten to this family over the years. All along being thousands of miles away from them.

Sam and Martha left shortly after but it wasn't as bad because we were going to spend the whole next day together. We went to bed somewhere around 11:00 or 11:30.

No comments: